WELCOME TO WHISKEY STREET
Welcome to Whiskey Street. The name harkens back to Salt Lake history. Before it was changed to Main Street in 1906, this stretch of road had been designated “Whiskey Street” by Brigham Young himself. It was a place where gentiles were able to quench their thirst. Even Mr. Young purchased his spirits from the numerous bars and the liquor store for which the street was named.
As legend has it, during the late 1800’s, Salt Lake City was so inundated with prospectors, soldiers, ladies of the night and other people of ill -repute, the blocks between 200 South and 400 South, on what would later be called Main Street (officially designated Main St. in 1906), was given to these gentiles to house the saloons, breweries, billiards clubs and parlor houses. Distilleries were also numerous in the city. Before 1870, there were an estimated 37 distilleries operated in Salt Lake City, all of them run by Mormons, including Brigham Young. As a matter of fact, Brigham Young has 235 charges on record over 10 years from the liquor store located near the intersection of 200 South and Main Street. That’s two purchases a month for 10 years straight for the Prophet. This area between 200 South and 400 South was given the moniker by none other than Brigham Young himself, and was known as Whiskey Street.